Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Wahkeena Falls


Wahkeena Falls
Originally uploaded by Mary Anne Thygesen.
Last Sunday I went on a hike on one of my favorite trails, 420 Wahkeena Falls on the Oregon side of the Columbia River gorge. The park is on the old Columbia River Highway near Multnomah Falls. It was an overcast day and not too warm. A few years back on the first day of summer I went on a hike on that trail and it rained almost two inches. The trail became my favorite when I was a child. I fell in love with fairy falls, it was just my size and I could walk thru it. I was amazed by Wahkeena Spring. I start hiking at the picnic area at the bottom of the trail. There is a bathroom, picnic tables and barbeques in the picnic area. Cross the road and hike on the paved path up to the bridge over the creek about ¼ mile, then continue on up the now paved second part of the trail up to the view point. The boy scouts did a nice job rebuilding the trail holding up the side of the hill with rock walls. The trail zigzags up the switch backs. Enjoy the view, and then continue up the trail following the creek. Stop at fairy falls. Just past fairy falls there is a branch in the trail, both ways go to the spring the branch following the creek is muddier. At the top is the spring. The trail continues on you can go right to Angles Rest or left toward Larch mountain. It is a great trail for children. The trail is wide and the exposure to cliffs is limited. My dog loves the trail; she has easy access to water most of the trail.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/columbia/forest/recreation/trails/WahkeenaTrail.htm

No comments: